Pie crust is very persnickety to prepare, not alone making them pretty and gluten free. I love to make pies and I was on the hunt for a wonderful crust, that was gluten free. I purchased a book “Alternative Baker” by Alanna Taylor-Tobin. I happen to tweak her recipe for the flaky pie dough recipe. Using some flours that I had on hand. Being there are so many flours choices, you can easily become flustered on just how to put one together. I prepared a filling recipe from Pinterest and will share the link later, along with a beautiful picture of the blueberry goat cheese, basil pie. This pie is so amazing, you just have to try.
Preheat oven: 400 degrees for parbake of crust
To cook pie: 350 degrees
This recipe makes one 9-inch pie shell for a single-crust pie.
1/8 cup (ice water)
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup plus Flaxmeal, plus 2 TB of gluten free baking flour
1/4 cup Quinoa flour
2 TB Tapioca Flour
2 1/2 TB chia seed
1 TB organic cane sugar
8 TB frozen, unsalted butter
1/8 cup cold buttermilk
- Prepare the ice water ahead of time and set aside
- In a bowl and combine the rice flour, flaxmeal, gf baking flour, guinoa, tapioca flour, cornstartch, chia seed, sugar and salt. (I placed in food processor)
- Add the frozen butter chunks and blend in food processor till it looks like peas.
- Stir together the ice water and the buttermilk and slowly add by the Tablespoon into the mixture as the food processor is on. As its mixing, it should be starting to form a ball, if not just add more water/buttermilk mixture.
- Its a ball, remove from food processor and place the formed ball in parchment paper. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Let the dough soften for about 7 minutes on counter being its very cold and will crack if rolled immediatly.
- Remove from refrigerator and dust an area where you are going to roll out. I use a silacone pastry mat (purchased on amazon). Take a piece of parchment paper and lay flat down, then add the dough on top. Flaten the dough slightly into a circle and place another piece of parchment paper on top of dough and roll out with rolling pin.
- Carefully place the dough into the pie shell, if it breaks its ok… you can use your fingers to mesh together. You can make the crust any design you want, I used my finger and pinched a piece of dough around it.
- Prick with fork and place in refigerator again to chill. (prepare filling for pie in meantime)
- Place parchment paper on top of shell and place pie weights (could use beans for weights)
- Before adding filling, place chilled pie crust on rack in oven for 7 minutes
- Remove let cool and add filling below:
Blueberry goat cheese basil pie
Prepare topping ingreditents and set aside:
1 cup sliced almonds (or chopped)
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
2 TB butter melted
- Mix altogether and set aside
1/2 cup of softened goat cheese
1/2 cup of heavy cream (I used coconut milk canned)
1 large egg
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour ( I used 4 TB of arrowroot flour)
1 Tablespoon chopped basil
5 Cups fresh blueberries ( I used frozen, but thawed them out)
- Mix all the above ingredients and place into baked pie shell. Spread the topping of the almond mixture on top and place in oven 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Taylor-Tobin, Alanna “Alternative Baker: reinventing dessert with gluten-free grains and flours.” pp 89-90.