With all the summer parties, I want to make sure that I bring something along everyone can enjoy as well as myself. I prepared a mock banana cream pie. The reason I say mock because there is no banana’s in this pie. But you wouldn’t know that by the taste.
I started off with a crust. I wanted a nutty crust that would resemble a graham cracker crust. Here is the recipe; Makes an 1- 8-inch pie
Nutty Chia Crust
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup Almond Flour
1/3 cup chia seed
1/3 cup Whey protein powder
2 TB Pyure sweetener
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter melted
Preheat oven at 350. Prepare you pie plates with a coating of coconut oil or butter.
Chop your walnuts very fine, I placed mine in a food processor. Add you walnuts, almond flour, chia seed, protein powder, pyure sweetener and salt in a bowl. Mix together and add your melted butter. Pour this mixture into the prepared pie plate and press together with your fingers. Massaging it into the sides of the plate. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until a toasty brown.
Nutritional for crust: Calories 298, Fat 25g, Net Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein 7g
For the cream filling:
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup coconut milk (use the can version; mix well then add)
1/3 cup pyure sweetener
1 TB Tapioca flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3 Large egg yolks
2 Large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp banana extract
1 pinch salt
2 TB butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup coconut cream (can version-full fat)
sweetener to taste.
- Place the heavy cream, coconut milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat
- Place the pyure, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and salt in a medium bowl.
- Separate the eggs adding the yolks and the whole eggs to the dry ingredient in step two. Whisk all together
- If bubbling hasn’t occurred around the saucepan edges, then turn up the heat till you see that.
- Turn heat off, and slowly add the egg/flour mixture to saucepan.
- Place the saucepan back on the stove and turn the heat to medium, whisking the cream. In about 4 minutes you will see the cream starting to thicken. Keep whisking as you DO NOT want the eggs to scramble. Continue to cook for 1 minute and then remove and turn off the heat. If mixture boils, your eggs will scramble.
- Remove pot and turn off heat, add the vanilla and banana extract along with butter. Stir until well combined.
- Let cool on counter or cool a cool place or over an ice bath for 10 minutes. DO NOT place in refrigerator as will add moisture to cream and will become thin.
Place Whipping cream and coconut cream in stand up mixer and beat till peaks arise. Add sweetener to taste
Fold in the whipped topping to the cooled creamed mixture, and place in prepared crusted shell.
If you are not serving right away, place in dark cool place. If you are planning to serve next day. You can place in refrigerator as long as it has all cooled. I placed in the freezer and it was just fine.
Servings size: 10
Nutrition: Calories: 137, Net Carbs: 2, Fat: 14, Protein: 3