Planning a picnic or a bring a dish, casseroles of creaminess are sometimes top priority.
This is just a wonderful balance of cheese and creaminess that I prefer. I don’t fix macaroni and cheese all the time, but when the craving hits this is the recipe I prefer. By no means is this on the healthy side. You probably could substitute the pasta for cauliflower and make it on the healthy side.
Creamy cheesy mac & cheese
16 oz macaroni
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups whole milk
14 oz white crumbly cheddar
5 oz orange sharp cheddar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 oz additional cheddar cheese for top
- Boil your macaroni and drain
- To make your cheese sauce; melt butter and flour over medium heat (the flour may soak up all the fat of the butter)
- Slowly add the milk, continue stirring for about 10 minutes until thickens. (*This step is very important to attain the creaminess in this recipe)
- Remove from heat and add the cheese, salt, chili and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is all melted
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease baking pan your using. I used an 8×10 cake pan.
- Add the pasta to the cheese mixture and stir, pour into the prepared pan
- Add the extra cheddar to the top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.