This is a new favorite of mine and its so easy and so delicious. Its just not everyday that we get to travel to key west for a piece of key lime pie.
Key lime has a very unique flavor than your regular lime. There is a more tart to this lovely little lime. Many grocery stores sell the Key limes in a small bag. If your like me, and just find it easier getting the key lime juice pre-squeezed by Nellie and Joes Famous Key West Lime Juice in a yellow bottle.
Playing with ice cream is always a little fun. I liked this recipe being the lime is used to cook the eggs to bring more of lovely lime texture and taste. So here is to some deliciousness. Sweetness is just from the sweetened condensed milk and that is it.
2 cups of Full-Fat Greek Yogurt ( look for the yogurt that has the most fat)
1 TB packed lime zest
3/4 cup Key Lime Juice (Nellie & Joes Famous Key lime Juice is what I use)
3 Large Egg Yolks
2 cups of sweetened condensed milk
1 1/4 tsp Guar Gum
- Mix the lime zest and the yogurt together in a small bowl and place in the refrigerator
- Take the yolks and the key lime juice, condensed milk and stir together and place in refrigerator for 3 hours
- Mix the lime zest and yogurt and the yolks together
- Strain thru a fine mesh sieve
- Place in glass dish and cover and place in refrigerator overnight
- Place ice cream churner on counter and prepare ice cream according to its directions
- When Ice cream is churning add the Guar gum. (this is mandatory, to soften ice cream)
- Place in containers and put back in freezer for another 12 hours
- Serve and enjoy.
My ice cream maker is a Cuisinart. I purchased on Amazon for about $35. Its my favorite and does a very good job.